We are often asked when windows should be replaced. The truth is there are many factors that should be considered before deciding when is the best time to replace windows in a home.
Whether you choose replacement windows or builder’s grade, new windows have many advantages. Increased curb appeal, additional light inside of the home, improved functionality and energy savings are just a few of the benefits of replacing windows. Here in New Jersey, extreme weather conditions can cause high-energy bills if windows are inefficient. Replacing windows is a wise choice for energy efficiency and to avoid having other maintenance issues in the home. Let’s take a look at the signs that your home may need new windows:
1. Getting up in age. If the windows in your home are pushing the twenty-year mark, it may be time to consider replacing them. Depending on how well windows were maintained, how many hours of the day they were hit by direct sunlight or if they are requiring maintenance then it may be time to consider replacements.
2. Losing functionality. Windows that will not stay open on their own can be both frustrating and dangerous. On the other hand, if windows were painted over or their tracks were damaged, they may be difficult or impossible to open.
3. Inconvenient. Windows that are original to the home may lack some of the modern day functionality that newer windows offer. Cleaning older style windows can be a time consuming and even dangerous task if ladders are involved. Modern window designs offer tilt-in options that allow homeowners to clean windows from the inside of the home.
4. Inefficient. Your windows may not be doing their job any longer if you notice condensation between windowpanes or air leaks into the home. This can result in higher heating and cooling bills.
5. Damaged windows or frames. If water is able to leak through the window frame it can lead to more serious problems for the home such as wood destroying insects like termites or carpenter ants, or even dreaded mold.
6. Aesthetics. If you are planning to replace the siding of your home consider including new windows in your project plan. Replacing windows and siding at one time makes for improved efficiencies and better fit around window frames.
If you have questions about the windows in your home or would like a free estimate, call us today or fill out our online free estimate form.